The American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC) of Idaho recently announced that Horrocks Engineers’ I-84, Broadway Avenue Interchange, and Gowen Railroad Spur Bridges project will receive First Place in Category H, Transportation, for the 2015 Engineering Excellence Awards Competition.
Horrocks recently completed this project out of our Nampa, Idaho office. Bryan Foote, Operations Manager of Horrocks’ Nampa office and Project Manager for the project, led a team of talented professionals who worked closely with the Idaho Transportation Department (ITD) and Connecting Idaho Partners (CIP) to provide design services.
The I-84, Broadway Avenue Interchange, and Gowen Railroad Bridges project consisted of three separate projects; I-84 Mainline, Broadway Avenue Interchange, and Eastbound and Westbound I-84 bridges over the UPRR Gowen Railroad Spur Bridges.
Improvements included reconstructing and replacing the Broadway Interchange with a Single-Point Urban Interchange (SPUI), reconstructing the existing two lanes of I-84 in each direction for .75 miles with a new concrete surface west of Broadway Avenue, asphalt surfacing east of Broadway Avenue, and reconstructing and widening the I-84 bridges over the Gowen Railroad Spur.
This project improved traffic operation performance, pavement condition, and increased capacity to meet current and future needs. The methods and innovative solutions developed by the Horrocks team addressed risks early in the design process, reduced construction costs, and minimized impacts to the traveling public, resulting in a successfully delivered project.
Final plan, specification, and estimate (PS&E) was completed October 30th, 2013, on schedule and under budget.
The Horrocks team implemented several significant project innovations on this project, including:
- SPUI Design — Horrocks developed a compressed SPUI design which fit within the existing right-of-way and avoided additional cost and delays associated with right-of-way acquisition
- Companioning Projects — Companioning the Broadway Interchange, I-84 Bridges over the Gowen Railroad Spur, and I-84 Mainline into one construction project helped avoid conflicts and gain construction efficiencies
- Bridge Piles — The Horrocks team drove test piles during the design phase to better define pile capacity, anticipate pile depths, and minimize ITD’s risk of pile quantity over/underrun during construction
- Synchronized Construction — Developing a single construction phasing plan synchronized with the adjacent and concurrent Gowen Road Interchange project minimized impacts to the traveling public
- Contract Milestones — Incorporating intermediate contract milestones with incentives for completion reduced the construction schedule and claim liability